Take Your Game to the Next Level

LIFETIME BASEBALL

Professional Baseball Training

Hall of Fame Voting - 01/12/2015

It's an exciting time anytime individuals are voted into their respective hall of fame. This was the case last week when four more persons were voted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York. I think all four individuals are deserving of this honor.

It is unfortunate that other individuals on the ballot, whose statistics warrant admission to the hall of fame, haven't received enough votes to receive admission. Though the intention here is not to discuss the steroid issue, I do want to state how pleased I am that character issues are still considered to be an important part of the decision making process for most voters. I understand the concerns behind those that say a player should be voted in based on their performance on the field. I get that. But I believe any player that is being considered for the highest honor given in their respective sport, must have as part of their credentials, a certain standard of character.

I realize also how fuzzy it would be to have any one person determine such standard. This is why baseball has chosen to establish the selection committee as they have. Having so many committee members would allow an interpretation of the rules as given, to be interpreted, and practiced, in the hope that a common or middle ground will be reached.

Whether or not a player recognizes that they are a role model, really doesn't matter. They are a role model. Countless fans will watch these players whether in person or social media. Players that make it to the hall of fame will be remembered long after their career is over. How a player is remembered is not limited to what they do on the field. Ask someone what they recall about Pete Rose and surely the conversation will eventually get to the reason why he isn't in the hall of fame.

You may not make it to the hall of fame, but you will be characterized by the things you say and do. How will people remember you?